[arch-dev-public] install scripts in core

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 11:57:41 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Thomas Bächler wrote:
>>
>> Allan McRae schrieb:
>>
>>> fakeroot
>>>  echo (coreutils)
>>
>> echo is a shell builtin, /bin/echo will never be used.
>>
>> <snip>
>> As I said, echo is a shell builtin, and unless we call /bin/echo
>> explicitly, the builtin will be used (it's not only a builtin in bash, but
>> also dash, so we should be fine). We could replace 'cat XYZ | command' with
>> 'command < XYZ'.
>>
>>> The install scripts for lilo and vi also fail if bash is not installed
>>> (for some unknown reason).  Lilo is just and old style "/bin/true" script so
>>> is easily fixed but I do not understand these two issues...
>>
>> No idea here too, maybe one of the commands calls /bin/sh or so. Making
>> lilo and vi depend on "sh" or so is okay IMO.
>
> The echo stuff is just as weird as what is happening with vi and lilo.  But
> I can replicate the for errors the packages using echo with both
> makchrootpkg and "pacman -Sr <root> pkg".  Installing bash before these
> packages fixes the issue (dash does not).   Anyone know what is causing
> this?

Yes- /bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/bash, in the bash package. dash
cannot install this symlink as it would obviously conflict (although
if Ubuntu can do it...). Pacman simply shells out to /bin/sh, so if
you create the relevant symlink, things will just work with dash as
well.

See near the end of the PKGBUILD:
http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/dash/trunk/PKGBUILD?revision=25648&view=markup

-Dan

P.S. There is a new version of dash in [testing] if anyone has
noticed; I was going to wait for signoffs after the ISO release.