[arch-dev-public] Need some advices for new dhclient

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Fri Jul 17 12:48:13 EDT 2009

dhclient is out-of-date and the last update to the package was from
September last year. In order to fix this bug:

FS#15515 - [dhclient] DHCP Stack Overflow in 'dhclient'
script_write_params()  (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15515)

I get some troubles. At the moment our package is at 3.0.6, but ISC
doesn't provide a patch for the above stack overflow, instead they
adivse you to upgrade to 4.1.0p1, 4.0.1p1, or 3.1.2p1.

I have tested 3.1.2p1 and our own huge patch
doesn't apply anymore. Nevertheless I have absolute no clue what this
patch is doing completely. I have seen that it adds an additional
option on command line "-x", but I don't know what it's doing.

The other two patches from us are more or less needless with the new
versions. This
was fixed in the new version from ISC and the other patch changes:

-    ifconfig $interface inet 0 down
+    ifconfig $interface inet 0

in the scripts and I really don't know why. The patch is called

Nevertheless of the patch problems above, I have tried the newest
version 4.1.0p1. It's clear that our patches don't apply anymore, but I
think they aren't necessary anymore. Like in 3.1.2p1 the last two
patches are needless and the "arch-nm.patch" doesn't apply and I have
not enough knowledge about the dhclient source code here.

As I said, I have test the 4.1.0p1 and it compiles fine, BUT only if I
disable DHCPv6. I haven't tried the package yet, but I'm not sure if we
should deliver it without DHCPv6. Otherwise I don't know how many
servers uses DHCPv6 at the moment or will use it.

Should we provide the 4.1.0p1 package, but without DHCPv6 support? I
have looked at some other distros, they have enabled DHCPv6 and it
seems that it compiles. But I don't know if they have the latest

Your advice please...need some input here.