[arch-dev-public] Need some advices for new dhclient

Daniel Isenmann daniel.isenmann at gmx.de
Fri Jul 17 12:48:13 EDT 2009

Hi,

dhclient is out-of-date and the last update to the package was from
September last year. In order to fix this bug:

FS#15515 - [dhclient] DHCP Stack Overflow in 'dhclient'
script_write_params()  (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15515)

I get some troubles. At the moment our package is at 3.0.6, but ISC
doesn't provide a patch for the above stack overflow, instead they
adivse you to upgrade to 4.1.0p1, 4.0.1p1, or 3.1.2p1.

I have tested 3.1.2p1 and our own huge patch
(http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/dhclient/repos/extra-x86_64/arch-nm.patch?revision=1)
doesn't apply anymore. Nevertheless I have absolute no clue what this
patch is doing completely. I have seen that it adds an additional
option on command line "-x", but I don't know what it's doing.

The other two patches from us are more or less needless with the new
versions. This
(http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/dhclient/repos/extra-x86_64/fix-broken-resolvconf.patch?revision=1)
was fixed in the new version from ISC and the other patch changes:

-    ifconfig $interface inet 0 down
+    ifconfig $interface inet 0

in the scripts and I really don't know why. The patch is called
"fix-mac80211-wireless".

Nevertheless of the patch problems above, I have tried the newest
version 4.1.0p1. It's clear that our patches don't apply anymore, but I
think they aren't necessary anymore. Like in 3.1.2p1 the last two
patches are needless and the "arch-nm.patch" doesn't apply and I have
not enough knowledge about the dhclient source code here.

As I said, I have test the 4.1.0p1 and it compiles fine, BUT only if I
disable DHCPv6. I haven't tried the package yet, but I'm not sure if we
should deliver it without DHCPv6. Otherwise I don't know how many
servers uses DHCPv6 at the moment or will use it.

Should we provide the 4.1.0p1 package, but without DHCPv6 support? I
have looked at some other distros, they have enabled DHCPv6 and it
seems that it compiles. But I don't know if they have the latest
toolchain.

Your advice please...need some input here.

Daniel