[arch-dev-public] Updating ABS

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Jul 25 05:53:39 EDT 2009

Am Samstag 25 Juli 2009 11:41:13 schrieb Allan McRae:
> My idea was symlinks in SVN.   When db-scripts find a package with
> pkgbase set, it should create symlinks for each of ${pkgname[*]} to
> $pkgbase (provided $pkgname[?] != $pkgbase).  If the symlink exists,
> they should check that it is already pointing to the right folder or
> otherwise there could be multiple packages with the same name.

What if a split pacakge was removed or moved to another pkgbase? The problem
about symlinks is that they only point into one direction. In addition to this
symlinks in svn aren't supported that great.

I wonder if we really need it. If you want to checkout a package, move or
delete it you have to use pkgbase. For abs you either checkout the complete
repo or you have to use pkgbase. And because abs is about PKGBUILDs and
sources but not actual packages this seems quite natural to me.

They only problem I see atm. is that we might not able to detect split
packages with the same pkgname. Symlinks solve this but we'll still have the
problems mentioned above. I am not sure what an alternative solution to this
problem might be. Perhaps a pkgname database for each repo and arch?

Pierre

--

Pierre Schmitz, http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre