[arch-dev-public] Move libtorrent-rasterbar to extra

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 18:44:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Jeff Mickey <jeff at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 14:47, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't think it would need versioning for that. libtorrent with
>>> replaces=(libtorrent-rasterbar) in extra will take precedence over
>>> libtorrent in community.
>>
>> I also don't mind changing the name of libtorrent in community to
>> libtorrent-rakshasa, as I believe rtorrent is the only consumer of his
>> libtorrent.
>
> That's what I was getting at. "libtorrent" in community is not the
> popular "libtorrent" and gets a tad confusing. Plus only rtorrent uses
> it.
>
>> The only weird thing I see is, then updating my package, I'd have to
>> put a "replaces=(libtorrent)".. and I think that might cause a weird
>> circular replacement thingie.
>
> Hmm, wouldn't changing the rtorrent dep take care of this? The current
> libtorrent would be replaced by the one in extra, and rtorrent would
> pull in libtorrent-rakshasa... which would conflict.
>
> I wonder if a conflicts=() line would solve everything.

That is a weird and interesting dependency problem.

I would suggest doing two steps :
1) rename libtorrent in a new libtorrent-rakshasa package, which
conflicts with libtorrent<=0.12.2 (and no other dep statements) and in
the same time, a new rtorrent package which depends on
libtorrent-rakshasa
2) rename libtorrent-rasterbar in a new libtorrent package, which
provides/conflicts/replaces libtorrent-rasterbar

It should be possible to do both steps in the same time, but 2) should
not be done before 1).

However my personal feeling is that these two projects were stupid and
arrogant to use such a generic name as libtorrent, and they both
deserve to be renamed. Also it might be unfair to only rename one. And
renaming both would be the most clear/explicit and less confusing
solution.
So my favorite choice would be to have libtorrent-rakshasa and
libtorrent-rasterbar :)

But if one has to be called libtorrent, I agree it should be the most
widely used one.
And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libtorrent, the difference is quite clear.
    * Libtorrent (Rakshasa) which powers rTorrent.
    * Libtorrent (Rasterbar) which powers BTG, Deluge, Free Download
Manager, Halite, Linkage, Miro, qBittorrent, SharkTorrent, and many
more.