[arch-dev-public] our FAT support and Microsoft

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun May 3 05:38:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 10:12 +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Fri, 3 Apr 2009 07:59:37 +0200 (CEST)
> schrieb Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>:
>
> > http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2009/03/31/on-the-tomtom-settlement-microsoft-rolls-back-its-%E2%80%9Copen%E2%80%9D-promises/
> >
> > I haven't done further investigations but it seems we should take care
> > about keep supporting the FAT file system.
> >
> > How is the state with NTFS? Is the license situation there more safe?
> >
> > Opinions?
> >
> > -Andy
> >

> Kernel developers are working on it:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.file-systems/31491/
>
> We might think to use this option in our next kernel packages.
>
> -Andy

Might think about it yes, but actually don't include it.
Even upstream has discussion about if this is the right thing to do.
This thing is targeted at companies using linux in their embedded
devices so they won't have a chance of getting sued by Microsoft for
these invalid patents. I would consider this a huge regression when it
enters the ARCH stock kernel.