[arch-dev-public] LZMA - in or out? ([signoff] libarchive 2.6.0)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon May 11 20:06:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 12. Mai 2009 01:45:47 schrieb Dan McGee:
>> You snipped out what the libarchive release notes said- liblzma
>> supports xz AND lzma, apparently.
>>
>> It is all here:
>> http://tukaani.org/xz/
>
> Yes, but if I get it right you need
> http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-4.999.8beta.tar.gz which should support lzma AND xz
> format. The lzma-tuils in extra will only support lzma.

Yes, of course. I think we can take some time to let it bake, as there
is not an immediate need, and when 5.0 comes out we can move it to
core and then rebuild libarchive with support for both.

I had done some tests a while back with lzma compression (as it
relates to bzip2 and gzip), and the results were not as good as I had
hoped. Although the files were smaller, the savings was not near as
significant as the increased compression time and slightly increased
decompression speed. However, lzma/xz will definitely clock in better
than bzip2 when it comes to speed.

-Dan