[arch-dev-public] request: xz-utils into core

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Sun May 31 08:32:04 EDT 2009

> Does xz-utils still support all lzma archives? A brief reading claims
> it is a new format, but I don't know about backwards compat.

I think I overlooked this question, but since this thread has been
reactivated, I can happily answer now:

It *is* backward compatible. That is, xz-utils can uncompress files in
the old lzma format, so it can be considered a replacement of
lzma-utils. (The new xz format has a different header structure, and
uses a different container.) When xz-utils hits extra, I will remove
lzma-utils. I believe xz-utils also provides unlzma as a symlink to unxz.