[arch-dev-public] [signoff] xz-utils and libarchive-2.7.0-2

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun May 31 16:09:19 EDT 2009

Pierre Schmitz schrieb:
> Hi devs,
>
> we had a long discussion about xz/lzma support some time ago. So I finally
> added xz-utils to testing and rebuild libarchive to make use of it.
>
> If everything is OK we can move both to core and remove lzma-utils from extra.
>
> I don't know if anything else has to be recompiled to add support for xz/lzma.
>
> PS: you can build xz archive with bsdtar (part of libarchive).
> PPS: the git version of pacman/makepkg (future 3.3) should support the xz
> format (not tested)

bsdtar can create .tar.xz archives with compression level 9 (at least it
claims it does, I added --option xz:compression=9 or so) - however, if I
unxz them and xz -9 them again (or do that to any tar archives), bsdtar
cannot extract them. This is the same for -7 and -8. pacman is therefore
also unable to read those archives. No idea why, but I thought I'd
mention it.