[arch-dev-public] [signoff] devtools-0.8.0

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 2 04:02:34 EST 2009

Eric Bélanger wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A new devtools release has been pushed to [testing].  Everything works on a
>> brief test here, but I thought it a good idea to do some testing before
>> pushing to [extra].
>>
>> Allan
>>

> I'm having a problem with makechrootpkg. In this commit:
> http://projects.archlinux.org/devtools.git/commit/?id=71a6d2c89587da5299b5a6c00542f49a1325721b
>
> The line:
> source $uniondir/etc/makepkg.conf
>
> was removed. This cause the package sources to be downloaded even if
> they are in my local source cache. Was it removed by mistake?  If it
> is intended, then how does makechrootpkg's SRCDEST (and PKGDEST)
> variables get assigned? Did the configuration changed?

That does look like a bad "fix".

 From memory, the whole issue here is for people who use makechrootpkg
to build i686 and x86_64 packages on the one machine.  Sourcing
makepkg.conf on the host machine is bad in that case as it might not be
for the correct architecture.  So, the sourcing on makepkg.conf was
moved to after the build so that the chroots makepkg.conf is used at all
times (WARNING: set your PACKAGER variable there...).  Now the host
makepkg.conf is only sourced get the SRCDEST and PKGDEST to move new
sources/packages at the end of the build.  This obviously breaks copying
source files from your SRCDEST as that is not sourced beforehand.

I dislike this change (as I am too lazy to set MAKEFLAGS and PACKAGER in
all my chroots) and so have been working with a makechrootpkg with that
whole change reverted.  I then have a "makechrootpkg64" script that
sources /etc/makepkg64.conf instead...

Reverting those changes a providing a flag for which makepkg config file
to use may be a fix for this whole issue.

Allan