[arch-dev-public] putting "beta" software in [testing]

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 23:41:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> coreutils-8.0 has been released but flagged beta because of some fairly
> large changes in rm which now uses gnulib's hierarchy traversal (= faster)
> and many changes to gnulib in the area of filesystem primitives.  I found
> the snapshot before this fully usable, and will do a "make check/test" to
> ensure everything is working as it should.
>
> I would like to put it in [testing] _without_ the option of it every moving
> to [core].  I know we do this for some software, but never anything so
> "core" to the system that I know of.
> So...  can I use [testing] for testing in this case?

So in some sense, this has a precedent. We always put the 2.6.xx".0"
kernel into [testing] with little intention of it going to [core],
waiting instead for at least one stable release.

I'd be fine with this as long as there is at least a version in mind
that would be considered stable and able to move to [core], and it
isn't going to affect the version in [core] as far as it lagging
behind any pre-8.0 maint/bugfix release.

-Dan