[arch-dev-public] Re-splitting gcc-{fortran,objc}?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 16 07:50:07 EDT 2009

Allan McRae wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I will be doing a toolchain rebuild probably in the next few days
> (update packages to binutils-2.20, gcc-4.4.2, kernel-headers-2.6.31.4
> and pull a "stable patchset" for glibc (what is roughly proposed for
> 2.10.2 but little upstream movement on releasing...).
>
> As I though I would bring up the possibility of resplitting gcc.  I
> will be using split packaging for gcc and gcc-libs but wondered if I
> should take it further and split out gcc-objc and gcc-fortran again).
> For those that do not remember here is the discussion on why they were
> merged:
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-January/004074.html
> .  Essentially, features break if you do not build all the compilers
> in one go.  Now we have package splitting, this is not an issue.
>
> So if splitting these is OK:
> 1) where do fortran and objc libs go?  gcc-libs or their own package.
> The later requires dependency fixing...

Looking into this further, nothing in [extra] used the objc libs so that
can be split completely without issue.  Only four packages in [extra]
use gfortran (blas, R, octave, python-numpy) and the total gfortran
package is not much more that the libraries (the rest of the package is
about 10% of the size of the libraries), so depending on the whole
gfortran rather than just this is no real issue.  So that will be split
too.  Only blas will need rebuilt as everything else seems to have it as
a dep.

> 2) can I bring in a gcc-ada package at the same time?  I have a local
> gcc package that I can use to bootstrap it.

So this is the only point remaining?  Any objections to bringing in this
package?

Allan