[arch-dev-public] Who broke devtools? - extrapkg svn commit == fail

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Tue Sep 22 11:18:00 EDT 2009

Xavier a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Nice, what about my second point? Can we predefine a partial commit message
>>> that will need to be edited?
>>>
>> I seemed to get overruled on that one. I know a lot of my commit
>> messages are going to be more worthless than before because I'm just
>> doing a version bump; at least before you got the version info in the
>> commit message.
>>

> From what I understood, other people opposed to a default commit
> message that you don't have to edit.
> Thomas is proposing to predefine a commit message that still need to be edited.
> This seems to be the ideal solution, but I don't know if it is possible.
>
> I don't know svn, but reading the doc, this does not seem to be
> immediately possible. Either you use -m message or -f file and the
> external editor is not called, or you use them and the editor is
> called.
>
> I don't know if something like this would work :
> echo upgpkg: $pkgbase $pkgver-$pkgrel > /tmp/commit-log
> $EDITOR /tmp/commit-log
> svn commit -f /tmp/commit-log
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong or if I am missing something :)

Personally I prefer the following approach.

1. When I change anything non-trivial (other than version bumping) in
the PKGBUILD, install scriptlet or included files, I do an explicit "svn
commit -m 'blabla'" in trunk before running archrelease (usually via
commitpkg or one of the symlinks to it).

2. When committing a version bump or simply calling archrelease, there
is no need to enforce a commit message other than the default one.

The issue is to make sure devs/TUs don't run commitpkg after having made
a non-trivial change in trunk.

Now what about this: modify commitpkg and archrelease so that if the
output of $(svn diff) in trunk is not empty, the script will exit with a
message saying 'please commit your changes in trunk with svn commit -m
"some message"'.

I would then remove the whole section with "svn commit" from commitpkg ;)

Does that make any sense?

If yes I have a patch ready...