[arch-dev-public] [signoff] db-4.8.24-1

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Sep 30 09:22:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 15:13 +0200, Firmicus wrote:
> Allan McRae a écrit :
> > Firmicus wrote:

> >> mod_perl must be rebuilt as well. See FS#16392.
> >> I will take care of it.
> >>
> >> However, perl 5.10.1 is not quite ready to go, because the issue with
> >> libperl.so (FS#10971) is not yet settled.
> >> Actually, I think we can nevertheless go forward with perl as it is in
> >> testing (i.e. even with a not necessarily useful libperl.so), and fix
> >> that later.
> >>

> > Is that and irssi the only packages needing rebuilt for the perl update?
> >
> IIRC rxvt-unicode and vim embed perl and probably do also need to be
> rebuilt... Kevin should know better than I do. The update from 5.8 to
> 5.10 necessitated more rebuilds, but here it is a minor update, so that
> perl modules with binary libraries should not necessitate a rebuild. I'd
> really like to release 5.10.1, as I am not quite happy with 5.10.0
> (because of the incomplete provides array and the fact that 5.10.0 was
> quite heavily patched). I'm ready to help with the perl rebuilds for
> both arches, of course.
>
> I am sorry for this inconvenience, but I did commit the changes in trunk
> before I knew about the forthcoming db rebuild. I should have warned you
> on this ML about it some days ago, though... Apologies!
>
> François

The rebuild list doesn't look so bad. It's mainly caused by programs
that link to libperl.a and then run with the 5.10.1 perl binary. This
causes incompatibilities because the libperl.a file linked static into
the application or module isn't updated. This is also the reason why we
should have a libperl.so: to make sure apps embedding perl get their
perl engine updated.