[arch-dev-public] [signoff] db-4.8.24-1

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Wed Sep 30 10:02:31 EDT 2009

Jan de Groot a écrit :
> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 15:13 +0200, Firmicus wrote:
>
>> Allan McRae a écrit :

>>> Is that and irssi the only packages needing rebuilt for the perl update?
>>>

>> IIRC rxvt-unicode and vim embed perl and probably do also need to be
>> rebuilt... Kevin should know better than I do. The update from 5.8 to
>> 5.10 necessitated more rebuilds, but here it is a minor update, so that
>> perl modules with binary libraries should not necessitate a rebuild. I'd
>> really like to release 5.10.1, as I am not quite happy with 5.10.0
>> (because of the incomplete provides array and the fact that 5.10.0 was
>> quite heavily patched). I'm ready to help with the perl rebuilds for
>> both arches, of course.
>>
>> I am sorry for this inconvenience, but I did commit the changes in trunk
>> before I knew about the forthcoming db rebuild. I should have warned you
>> on this ML about it some days ago, though... Apologies!
>>
>> François
>>

> The rebuild list doesn't look so bad.

Until now we have:

mod_perl
irsii (I note BTW that perl is missing from its makedepends array)
vim
gvim

anything else? Kevin?

> It's mainly caused by programs
> that link to libperl.a and then run with the 5.10.1 perl binary. This
> causes incompatibilities because the libperl.a file linked static into
> the application or module isn't updated. This is also the reason why we
> should have a libperl.so: to make sure apps embedding perl get their
> perl engine updated.

OK, I am currently rebuilding perl 5.10.1 with libperl.so and I will
then release it to testing.
(To hell with the small performance penalty, then :) )

I will then start rebuilding the above packages with the new perl.