[arch-dev-public] kde 4.5.0

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 11:43:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> 2) dolphin segfaults. A lot. All the time. It's annoying.
>>>

>> I know this happened on the 4.5 release candidates when tooltips or
>> the information panel were enabled. The fix should have been included
>> in the latest set of source tarballs, but can you test nevertheless if
>> disabling those fixes it?
>
> The information panel is always active in my settings, don't know which
> tooltips you are talking about. And I didn't experience dolphin crashes
> in the rc's.

you can enable tooltips in dolphin via settings->configure
dolphin->general-> tooltips, it will show the same info as in the
information panel when hovering an icon. I enabled both earlier today
on my system but I still haven't had a single crash, so it doesn't
seem the bug I mentioned which I was able to trigger quite a lot.

> Another thing I noticed: Whenever I navigate to audiocd:/ and copy the
> MP3 folder, dolphin crashes and doesn't start the copy. When I do it
> again, it works.

works fine here. I should note that I have created a new profile, even
after the release candidates.  I know that normally the old configs
should still work but there have been a lot of cases where crashes
happened because of it, one time even some settings in the ~/.config
directory caused instability.

I've been looking on the KDE bug tracker but couldn't find anything
related to any of your described dolphin problems. If the problem
persists with a clean config/new user, can you provide some more info
to go on.

Do any other people running kde 4.5.0 experience such instability in
dolphin (feel free to contact me off-list if you don't have access
here so maybe we can solve this) ? I don't really want to push it into
extra if a lot of people have problems with the filemanager.

Ronald