[arch-dev-public] At last, clean multilib support

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 06:43:29 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 23.08.2010 12:00, schrieb Andreas Radke:
>> We had several discussions about lib32 and multilib support in the
>> past. It has been always our agreement to keep Arch x86_64 plain pure
>> 64bit. Just KISS.
>
> It has been YOUR agreement.
>
>> Any additional 32bit support should stay in the community area. Nothing
>> has changed here.
>
> We are doing more than that. We are separating 32bit support from
> community, too. I want to make it a strict rule that no multilib package
> can ever enter community again. Or core. Or extra. (Btw, that rule would
> imply that grub is being removed from core-x86_64).

when did we have the discussion to move to grub2 as standard?

But well, I agree with Andreas, we should at least have a discussion
before we change something as drastic as this, this is the first time
I hear about providing official support for it and it to be already
official?

> To repeat what I said several times: multilib support MUST be in its own
> repository, the core/extra/community Arch Linux MUST stay pure 64.

so people are forced to go multilib on i686 due to grub? I mean, it
must be enabled by default how else can people install it? What is the
solution you propose here?

>> So please take care about the word "official" in this forum thread:
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=102973 or wherever it will
>> come up.
>
> It is official in a sense that it is maintained by Arch developers and TUs.

Ronald