[arch-dev-public] At last, clean multilib support

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 23 06:54:07 EDT 2010

Am 23.08.2010 12:43, schrieb Ronald van Haren:
>>> Any additional 32bit support should stay in the community area. Nothing
>>> has changed here.
>>
>> We are doing more than that. We are separating 32bit support from
>> community, too. I want to make it a strict rule that no multilib package
>> can ever enter community again. Or core. Or extra. (Btw, that rule would
>> imply that grub is being removed from core-x86_64).
>>
> when did we have the discussion to move to grub2 as standard?

I was just messing with Andy. The fact is that grub-legacy is a 32 bit
package.

> But well, I agree with Andreas, we should at least have a discussion
> before we change something as drastic as this, this is the first time
> I hear about providing official support for it and it to be already
> official?

We do not change anything. We are just adding a new repository and we
are removing tons of broken packages from community.

>> To repeat what I said several times: multilib support MUST be in its own
>> repository, the core/extra/community Arch Linux MUST stay pure 64.
>>
> so people are forced to go multilib on i686 due to grub? I mean, it
> must be enabled by default how else can people install it? What is the
> solution you propose here?

As I said, I am not planning to do anything about grub, I was just
pointing the flaw in Andy's argument.