[arch-dev-public] At last, clean multilib support

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Aug 23 07:06:19 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 12:54 +0200, Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
> What kind of packages are expected to be found in a multilib
> repository?
> Should we keep with core/extra packages, leaving 32-bit versions of
> community packages to AUR ? In more down-to-earth terms: are we going
> to have glibc/gtk2/firefox/flashplugin in the same place ?

Firefox probably not, but a 32bit flashplugin and its dependencies are
one of the candidates. Another thing that comes to mind is Wine, as
there's no native 64bit port of that available.

At this moment community is crowded with broken 32bit crap which is just
i686 packages copied to a different location (in /opt... ew), where
hardcoded configuration files still point to the old i686 locations. An
example of this is gtk2 trying to load 64bit plugins all the time.