[arch-dev-public] At last, clean multilib support

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 07:16:29 EDT 2010

On 2010/8/23, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 12:54 +0200, Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
>> What kind of packages are expected to be found in a multilib
>> repository?
>> Should we keep with core/extra packages, leaving 32-bit versions of
>> community packages to AUR ? In more down-to-earth terms: are we going
>> to have glibc/gtk2/firefox/flashplugin in the same place ?
>
> Firefox probably not, but a 32bit flashplugin and its dependencies are
> one of the candidates. Another thing that comes to mind is Wine, as
> there's no native 64bit port of that available.
>
> At this moment community is crowded with broken 32bit crap which is just
> i686 packages copied to a different location (in /opt... ew), where
> hardcoded configuration files still point to the old i686 locations. An
> example of this is gtk2 trying to load 64bit plugins all the time.

Did I miss something or the 32 bit flashplugin can only be used in a
32-bit browser ? Wouldn't it be unconvenient to have the plugin in the
repo without some widely used browser ?

As for Wine, do I understand correctly if I say that there is (newly
introduced) 64-bit support in Wine but it would only work with native
64-bit Windows binaries, and since most Windows programs are still
compiled as 32-bit, bin32-wine is usually needed ?

--
Rémy