[arch-dev-public] [ANNOUNCEMENT DRAFT] True multilib for Arch Linux x86_64

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 07:20:56 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Rémy Oudompheng
<remyoudompheng at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> [multilib]
>>> Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>>> </draft>
>>>
>> I'm confused, the repo tries to remove my gcc packages and replace
>> them with some multilib variant, but that's not really what I want I
>> suppose?
>
> Are you taking about gcc-libs-multilib ? As mentioned in another thread
> I also support replacing gcc-libs-multilib by a lib32-gcc-libs packages
> containing only 32-bit versions.

yes that was the one I was talking about. I was under the impression
that I could continue to use my old gcc-libs package and the multilib
variant was an addition to the package I had. I also didn't see the
provides line in the PKGBUILD but now I see I must have been blind, it
is there at least a zillion times...

> Should we also make an announcement on the aur-general mailing-list ?
> Something like:
> "With the creation of the [multilib] repository, all 32-bit libraries are now
> installed in /usr/lib32 and compiled from source using the gcc-multilib
> package instead of being copied from i686 packages. All AUR users
> maintaining lib32-* and bin32-* packages are encouraged to adapt their
> packages to the new layout."
>
> --
> Rémy

seems like a good idea, it certainly couldn't hurt.

Ronald