[arch-dev-public] The "Great Python Rebuild of 2010" begins

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 06:53:23 EDT 2010

On 31 August 2010 14:43, Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't seem to have permissions to edit the wikipage. My account is
>> "Remyoudompheng".
>>
>> There are problems with bazaar, as explained in
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/612096
>> bazaar is absolutely unusable as is (I mean the bug arises for every action).
>
> Another status report: namcap, python-vpython, mercurial seem to work,
> gvim and subversion build, but I don't know how to test them. I've
> uploaded them to my directory. python-numeric seems to be broken, I
> don't know if it is maintained despite being deprecated. I will
> probably be able to use [staging] daily soon.

Just a simple run with each provided executable should do. There is no
need for any thorough testing, because one person can only do so much.
I believe problems should be reported by users when using [testing].

As [staging] should only be used in a chroot, you can either:

1) install python[2] with makechrootpkg, install the program(s)
with_out_ the -c option and chroot into the chroot
2) create a usable chroot with everything needed for building, chroot
into it and makepkg/pacman as needed

You have to set up proper binds and copy relevant files.

You can also choose to just break your local system/python stuff and
pacman -U python[2] as and when needed.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD