[arch-dev-public] perl-5.12.2 rebuild list?

K. Piche kpiche at rogers.com
Tue Dec 7 23:48:38 CET 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 01:14 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 03/12/10 12:18, K. Piche wrote:

> >> And again...  you might actually get help with the rebuild if we knew
> >> why we were rebuilding.
> >
> > It's just the way it sounds.  If a perl module has *.so files it needs
> > to be rebuilt.  You'd think there was binary compatibility but the
> > perl/C XS interface seems to always change each release - maybe how
> > external libraries interface to intrinsic data types, dunno.
>
> Wow!  They seriously break that on minor bugfix releases?  That is
> amazingly... um...  lets go for crappy.

I don't think the binary API breaks but sometimes the XS .so modules
don't work with newer perl's.  I tested perl-bit-vector with 5.12.2 and
it didn't work until I rebuilt it.

> But are you sure all these needed rebuilt?  I had [staging] enabled in
> my pacman.conf by accident a while back and installed perl-5.12.2.
> Admittedly I do not use much perl, but I had no noticeable issue playing
> games using sdl_perl (e.g. frozen-bubble) which is included on the
> rebuildlist.

Perhaps not all of them but then I would have to test them all and I'd
rather just rebuild.  A side benefit of this particular rebuild is that
a lot of the the packages didn't have .so's so I was able to switch them
to "any".  Less to build next time.

> > There's been a rebuild every release only this is the first time I
> > bothered with an official todo because someone mentioned it last time.
> > Some non-binary modules will need to be rebuilt later due to scriptdir
> > path changes but it's not critical.
>  >
> > Help or not it doesn't matter to me - I'll get to them all eventually.
>
> It is definitely good to have a TODO list this time round.  But a
> message to arch-dev-public and aur-general explaining the rebuild
> normally gets you a bunch of help and the rebuild done in a matter of days.

It'd be faster if I hadn't bought Fallout: New Vegas too.  :)

--
K. Piche <kpiche at rogers.com>