[arch-dev-public] perl-5.12.2 rebuild list?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 3 16:14:57 CET 2010

On 03/12/10 12:18, K. Piche wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 11:36 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:

>>> Ping Kevin... I see you are doing some rebuilds now!
>>>

>> And again...  you might actually get help with the rebuild if we knew
>> why we were rebuilding.
>
> It's just the way it sounds.  If a perl module has *.so files it needs
> to be rebuilt.  You'd think there was binary compatibility but the
> perl/C XS interface seems to always change each release - maybe how
> external libraries interface to intrinsic data types, dunno.

Wow!  They seriously break that on minor bugfix releases?  That is
amazingly... um...  lets go for crappy.

But are you sure all these needed rebuilt?  I had [staging] enabled in
my pacman.conf by accident a while back and installed perl-5.12.2.
Admittedly I do not use much perl, but I had no noticeable issue playing
games using sdl_perl (e.g. frozen-bubble) which is included on the
rebuildlist.

> There's been a rebuild every release only this is the first time I
> bothered with an official todo because someone mentioned it last time.
> Some non-binary modules will need to be rebuilt later due to scriptdir
> path changes but it's not critical.
 >
> Help or not it doesn't matter to me - I'll get to them all eventually.

It is definitely good to have a TODO list this time round.  But a
message to arch-dev-public and aur-general explaining the rebuild
normally gets you a bunch of help and the rebuild done in a matter of days.

Allan