[arch-dev-public] tcp_wrappers- does anyone actually use it?

Stéphane Gaudreault stephane at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 13 11:18:27 EST 2010

Le 12 décembre 2010 20:04:07, Dan McGee a écrit :
> Got very little feedback on this last time...any votes? Saw another
> thread[1] in the forums today about it causing problems with mpd this
> time around...
>
> -Dan
>
> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109962
>
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Guillaume ALAUX
> >
> > <guillaume at archlinux.org> wrote:

> >> Well, I must say it gave me headaches several times especially when
> >> trying to figure out how to get openldap (and sshd) to work!

> >> +1
> >>
> >> FYI it looks like we use the "ipv4 only" version whereas there is the
> >> ipv6-enabled :
> >> ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/pub/security/index.html
> >> ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/pub/security/tcp_wrappers_7.6.tar.gz
> >> ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/pub/security/tcp_wrappers_7.6-ipv6.4.tar.gz
> >>
> >> So we are not even "up to date" nor ipv6-compatible !
> >>
> >> Adding your other comments, I would vote for a removal of the
> >> dependencies. Maybe we can still keep the package in our repos in case
> >> someone explicitly want to use it (in that case we could provide de
> >> ipv6 version too).
> >
> > The last updated added the ipv6 patch, so you might want to check your
> > words.
> >
> > Keeping the package in the repos does no good; it is a shared library
> > that is most often linked in at compile-time so it needs to be present
> > if compiled in, and if not, it won't even be looked at.
> >
> > -Dan

I think they are different tools for differents purpose. I do not see tcp
wrapper as a cheap firewall.

One of the main purpose of using tcp wrappers is to provide useful log
information by default, out of the box.

In addition to access control and logging, TCP Wrappers can execute commands
to interact with the client before denying or releasing control of the
connection to the requested network service. It can also return messages to
connections (sending text back to the connection originator). I am not sure
iptable can do this easily.

As for the access control feature, I like the concept of having redundant
systems in case something fails or gets exploited. That way you are not having
your entire systems security hinging on a single point of failure.

Are there any other distributions that do not use tcp wrappers at all ?

Stéphane