[arch-dev-public] devtools and db-scripts plans

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 22:35:26 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There has been talk about what is needed/wanted for the future of devtools
>> and db-scripts but not much done lately.  So I thought I would get together
>> a list of ideas so we could perhaps do a coding sprint to implement them.
>>  Here is what I have got so far:
>>
>> devtools
>>  - split-PKGBUILDs with (supported in future pacman):
>>   -> both binary and arch=any packages
>>   -> overridden pkgver
>>   -> overridden pkgrel (and only selected sub-packages)
>>  - support for xz compression (nothing needed?)
>>
>> db-scripts
>>  - support for xz compression transition (e.g. in clean-up script)
>>  - support for single "package" directory with symlinks to repos
>>  - allow db-move to handle multiple packages
>>   (or add a script to help moving from community-testing)
>
> There are already testing2community* scripts in git as well as a
> db-community-testing. They just need to be released on sigurd.
>
>>  - delta support...
>

>> Any others?
>
> Couple of bugs that could be fixed.
>
> FS#17058 - {dbscripts} ftpdir-cleanup marked new packages as out of date
>
> FS#17098 - sourceballs: Removal of old sourceball not efficient
>
> Probably sourceballs and sourceballs-cleanup should be merged.

I made a patch for that. It's untested yet.  As I can't test it on my
system, I'll need to test it on gerolde. I could make my copy of the
sourceballs directory in my home directory.  It'll be the most
convenient for me if fixes needs to be done but it'll use up
(temporarily) 9.5-10 GB of the avaliable 11GB of disk space.
Alternatively, an admin could start the new scripts while I'm able to
keep an eye on it and stay available in case the script needs to be
stopped. I could also just send a git patch of the untested script.
Any idea on the best way to proceed?

 And