[arch-dev-public] devtools and db-scripts plans

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 20:53:03 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There has been talk about what is needed/wanted for the future of devtools
>> and db-scripts but not much done lately.  So I thought I would get together
>> a list of ideas so we could perhaps do a coding sprint to implement them.
>>  Here is what I have got so far:
>>
>> devtools
>>  - split-PKGBUILDs with (supported in future pacman):
>>   -> both binary and arch=any packages
>>   -> overridden pkgver
>>   -> overridden pkgrel (and only selected sub-packages)
>>  - support for xz compression (nothing needed?)
>>
>> db-scripts
>>  - support for xz compression transition (e.g. in clean-up script)
>>  - support for single "package" directory with symlinks to repos
>>  - allow db-move to handle multiple packages
>>   (or add a script to help moving from community-testing)
>>  - delta support...
>>
>> Any others?
>
> I am more than willing to work on the package pooling part of the
> db-scripts code, I just need to find the time.
>
> And I agree with Thomas that the compression stuff should be made more generic.

The following branch contains some initial work:
http://code.phraktured.net/cgit.cgi/dbscripts/log/?h=working

* Merged Daniel's patch
* Removed the testing2* scripts
* Added package pool support to db-update

The rest of the scripts still need support for the whole pooling
thing, but here's a starting point. Please critique, it's not all that
much:
http://code.phraktured.net/cgit.cgi/dbscripts/commit/?h=working&id=5dc5fc0dff1632f834ac11d3bfcef87a512b1096

db-move and db-remove need adjusting, and then the cleanup scripts.