[arch-dev-public] package signoffs

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 9 03:46:22 EST 2010

Am 09.02.2010 09:38, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> These days it looks like almost nobody in our developer team uses i686
> anymore. I still have a laptop running it, but I barely use it.
>
> I think it's time to revise our signoff policy. I was thinking about
> making it a bit more flexible:
>
> - signoff by 3 devs, no matter what architecture, and no bugs within 3
> days -> move
> - signoff for both architectures, 2 each -> move

Actually, until now we had 2 for each architecture, minus the original
commiter. So if I use x86_64, I need 1 x86_64 and 2 i686 signoffs. These
days, I even move things with a single i686 signoff.

I've had ppp, openvpn and wpa_supplicant in testing for over a week. I
got signoffs for the latter after poking you and Roman personally
(really personally, I had to threaten both of you with my arsenal of
guns and nuclear weapons so you signed off) - and that although probably
everyone of us uses wpa_supplicant, directly or indirectly. Still, all
signoffs are for x86_64.

> - no signoff, no bugs for a week -> move
>
> For the last thing to get implemented, this can be a bit tricky.
> Sometimes developers throw something in testing, just to test something,
> and it sits there for weeks without anyone knowing why it's in testing.
> I would like to have every package that goes to testing getting
> committed with a reason in the commit message. This way we can find out
> why something is in testing and if we can easily move it out without
> breaking things.

We could implement a special case for this in archrelease and add this
to the commit message.