[arch-dev-public] SCons major revision update

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 12:58:02 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently extra/scons-1.3.0-1 is marked out-of-date, which is probably
> due to the fact that since last month, version 2 has become the stable
> branch upstream. From http://www.scons.org:
>
> "14 June 2010
> SCons production release 2.0.0.final.0 is now available from the
> download page at SourceForge. This is the production release for the
> 2.0 series. The 2.0 series drops support for all pre-2.4 versions of
> Python. See the ChangeLog for a complete list of changes in the
> release."
>
> Version 1 is still supported, as evidenced by the development branch updates:
>
> "26 June 2010
> SCons release 1.3.0.d20100626 is now available from the download page
> at SourceForge. Fix the ability to append to default $*FLAGS values
> (which are implemented as CLVar instances) in a copied construction
> environment without affecting the original construction environment's
> value. See the ChangeLog for a complete list of changes in the
> release."
>
> The following are the packages that makedepend on scons:
>
> == extra ==
> hydrogen
> ardour
> linuxdcpp
>
> == community ==
> ffmpeg2theora
> oregano
> btanks
> kleansweep
> pingus
> dangerdeep
> fceux
> mypaint
> glob2
>
> We can either update it to version 2 or move version 1 to a scons1
> package. If there are no objections and build issues, I'll go ahead
> with the former, as it doesn't appear to be that popular to warrant
> both major branches in the repos.
>

> --
> GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

scons 2.0.0.final.0 is a check point release. It might be better to
stick with scons 1. From RELEASE.txt:

"  A SCons "checkpoint release" is intended to provide early access to
  new features so they can be tested in the field before being released
  for adoption by other software distributions."
.
.
.
"We do not recommend that downstream distributions (Debian, Fedora,
  etc.) package a checkpoint release, mainly to avoid confusing the
  "public" release numbering with the long checkpoint release names."

So updating scons to  1.3.0.d20100626 might be the best thing to do.