[arch-dev-public] Update to FluxBB 1.4

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue Jul 20 13:19:44 EDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:00:19 -0500, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:59:35 -0500, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>
>>> We also do not have enough room to dump and reload a second copy of
>>> the DB. Any ideas on this, anyone? We didn't think very straight when
>>> we were sizing /var on a DB machine...
>>
>> Good catch. But it should just fit. There is 3.2GB free disc space and
>> the bbs database takes 1.2GB. Once everything is running the phpbb
>> database can be removed. (I can keep a local dump file in my home dir
>> for some time though...just in case)
>
> No, that is not how InnoDB works which we recently switched to for
> these tables. Once the data file grows we do not get the space back,
> period, unless we do a complete dump and load of every database. Log
> space needs to be accounted for, which makes our weekly swing of used
> space vary by 27%:
> https://stats.archlinux.org/munin/archlinux.org/gudrun/df.html

Ah innodb ok. That saves all dbs in one file. (I was using myisam here)
Hmm, we might run into a problem with our var partition some day...soon.

Well, let's change the plan to this:
* make a backup of the db
* rename phpbb to fluxbb (a rename should be painless, right)
* ..
* run the update script on the live db

For the time frame: I got time now till late tonight (let's say now +
5h) or tomorrow. For Thursday I probably don't have enough time if
anything goes wrong. Otherwise some day next week.