[arch-dev-public] coreutils - remove i18n patch?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Jun 12 02:13:57 EDT 2010

Hi,

The coreutils-i18n patch we currently use adds some extra support for
multibyte characters.  However, the patch is entirely unsupported
upstream.  I currently rely on the Fedora maintainer to fix any issues
that are found and to update it for each release.  He also finds that
patch a nightmare.

So the question is, should we remove that patch?  It is not acceptable
by the usual Arch patching rules given it is not supported upstream, but
it does provide better multibytle locale support (subject to it
working...).  Removing the patch will probably result in a few
regressions with multibyte locales, but we can then take those issues
upstream.

Any opinions on this?

Allan