[arch-dev-public] Pacman Architecture option (was: [signoff] pacman 3.4.0-2)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 11:42:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:21:32 +0200, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
> wrote:
>> Am 22.06.2010 15:31, schrieb Allan McRae:
>>> "Architecture = auto" causes issues on any system where the kernel is
>>> not built for the same architecture as the packages (waves hand as
>>> someone who cannot use it...).  "Architecture = none" causes no
>>> restrictions on the system setup so is the default.
>>
>> 'Architecture = auto' is the common case, so it should be the default
>> (and actually, the default configuration file contains it).
>> 'Architecture = none' is a rare corner case that virtually nobody will
>> need, so it should not be the default. Just my 2 cents on sane default
>> values.
>
> I agree with Thomas here; the common case should be the default; not the
> rare corner case. At least on Arch you don't have mixed architectures
> anyway.

This is the last thing I will say on this. Where the heck were you
guys 11 months ago? Surely not following development, but you want to
piss about it now.

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/008965.html
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/008968.html
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-July/008970.html

Patches (with no feedback, mind you):
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2009-August/009193.html

Yes, Aaron did seem to lean your direction, but nothing persuasive
enough to convince either me (who proposed the idea) or Xavier (who
coded the idea) change our minds. It's put up or shut up, so to speak.
I'm not saying you guys need to be turning out a patch a week to be
able to offer opinions, but the statue of limitations on complaints is
surely shorter than 11 months.

Please don't see this as a personal blow to either of you guys- you
both do a lot of great work around here. It just sucks to see 6 or so
emails bitching about a feature (not even a bug!) that has been set
for as long as this one has.

-Dan