[arch-dev-public] initscripts hack-a-thon?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 2 03:39:19 EST 2010

Am 02.03.2010 05:39, schrieb Allan McRae:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking in the bug tracker, there are 35 bug reports for initscripts.
> That represents about 10% of bugs...
>
> I'm not really sure who is in charge of initscripts these days, but how
> about a group of use gets together on IRC some time in the future and
> try getting through a bunch of these bug reports?
>
> Allan

There's lots of stuff there I am assigned to, but I don't seem to get to
do initscripts hacking these days.

Just a remark: There are tons of patches for the encryption part, most
of which extend the crypttab format. This is a very bad idea, crypttab
is already and almost unparsable mess and adding more and more things to
it won't improve that. My original plan was to rewrite crypto support
entirely to use small and convenient config files with lots of options
(and just add backward compatibility with crypttab) - but again, I
didn't get to it.

As for the tons of networking suggestions: There's requests for very
complex things that should rather be implemented in netcfg, as it is
much better suited for it (different bonding models for example just
don't fit into the initscripts setup). Personally, I would like to
remove everything but basic ethernet support from initscripts (that
would also include removing wireless, but some people were too strictly
against that). What I am saying is, investing time into integrating more
network stuff into initscripts is time wasted, as complex setups like
bonding or bridging can be much better implemented in netcfg and the
work should be spent on that instead.

Just my 2 cents, no idea when I get to actively work on initscripts
again though.