[arch-dev-public] initscripts hack-a-thon?

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue Mar 2 05:40:32 EST 2010

Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 09:39:19 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Personally, I would like to
> remove everything but basic ethernet support from initscripts (that
> would also include removing wireless, but some people were too strictly
> against that). What I am saying is, investing time into integrating more
> network stuff into initscripts is time wasted, as complex setups like
> bonding or bridging can be much better implemented in netcfg and the
> work should be spent on that instead.

I second this. We should concentrate on netcfg for network setup in future.
Initscripts will just get too complicated (e.g. they don't support ipv& atm)
while the same functionality is already provided by another package n core.

I would even completely remove the network and netfs deamon from initscripts;
but I guess there wont be much support for this. :-)