[arch-dev-public] samba 3.5.0 bump

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 2 11:02:02 EST 2010

Am 02.03.2010 14:47, schrieb Giovanni Scafora:
> 2010/3/2, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
>>  Thank you Tobias for bringing this up; I've noticed it with more than
>>  just this package.
>
> OK, then I will stay away from packages that are not mine.
> Let's keep up out of date packages!
> Thanks a lot for your rant.

Obviously this is counter-productive. There are lots of packages one can
just "bump" without looking at them further. Samba is not one of them,
as is mplayer (just to mention a few).

We should instead introduce a comment into those PKGBUILDs right above
the pkgver= to prevent people from messing with them. Something like:

# MAINTAINER INFO: don't upgrade
or
# MAINTAINER INFO: version x.y.z, do not upgrade on x or y change

The latter case would cover all samba problem, as anyone who isn't the
primary maintainer will see that if x or y changes, he should not
upgrade it.