[arch-dev-public] Moving to pkg.tar.xz officially?

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Mar 10 13:15:45 CET 2010

Am Dienstag, 9. März 2010 22:39:57 schrieb Allan McRae:
> So...  are people happy with me compressing the upcoming toolchain
> rebuild with xz?  There are no versioned deps between pacman or any of
> its deps and the toolchain.  That means the initial upgrade to pacman
> when upgrading a system will not be affected by this.  If that ever
> changes, I will switch back.

I just downloaded the 2008.06 iso and could successfully issue an -Syu. (I
have now added pacman-mirrorlist to the packages that should be kept in gz
format)

I also tried a iso from 2007 but that kernel glibc wasn't compatible. But such
an old setup could only be updated from a newer live cd anyway.

In other words: the current solutions ensures that there is still a smooth
update path for systems that haven't seen an -Syu for about two years. I
really don't think we should worry here.