[arch-dev-public] Moving to pkg.tar.xz officially?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 9 22:39:57 CET 2010

On 10/03/10 03:38, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 9. März 2010 15:18:47 schrieb Dan McGee:
>> I was going to respond to this thread and say we should keep a small
>> subset of packages in tar.gz format for things like this. Most of them
>> happen to be mine, but:
>> * pacman
>> * libarchive
>> * libfetch
>> * zlib ?
>> * glibc ?
>> * bash ?
>
> This might got lost in the other threads but I already took care of this. I
> have set PKGEXT to .pkg.tar.gz within the PKGBUILD for pacman, libarchive, xz-
> utils and libfetch. If you run pacman -Syu on an old system, pacman will
> update those at first and quit. On the next run you already have a xz-
> compatible pacman.
>
> I have successfully tested this with the 2009.02 iso and I am sure it will
> work with even older versions.
>
> And to be honest: if you only update every one or two years you shouldn't use
> Arch anyway. (or you know what you are doing and are able to take care of the
> problems you get then.)

So...  are people happy with me compressing the upcoming toolchain
rebuild with xz?  There are no versioned deps between pacman or any of
its deps and the toolchain.  That means the initial upgrade to pacman
when upgrading a system will not be affected by this.  If that ever
changes, I will switch back.

Allan