[arch-dev-public] Moving to pkg.tar.xz officially?

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue Mar 9 18:38:01 CET 2010

Am Dienstag, 9. März 2010 15:18:47 schrieb Dan McGee:
> I was going to respond to this thread and say we should keep a small
> subset of packages in tar.gz format for things like this. Most of them
> happen to be mine, but:
> * pacman
> * libarchive
> * libfetch
> * zlib ?
> * glibc ?
> * bash ?

This might got lost in the other threads but I already took care of this. I
have set PKGEXT to .pkg.tar.gz within the PKGBUILD for pacman, libarchive, xz-
utils and libfetch. If you run pacman -Syu on an old system, pacman will
update those at first and quit. On the next run you already have a xz-
compatible pacman.

I have successfully tested this with the 2009.02 iso and I am sure it will
work with even older versions.

And to be honest: if you only update every one or two years you shouldn't use
Arch anyway. (or you know what you are doing and are able to take care of the
problems you get then.)