[arch-dev-public] Allow comments on closed bugs?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 01:58:02 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have an opinion on this?
>
> In my eyes, I imagine the kind of people who want this feature simply
> wish to argue about the closing. I've had to deal with enough PM
> requests in the past to know that this _does_ happen.

Speaking from the pacman side more than the package-related bugs side,
I've often wanted to add comments to closed issues in the past and
have been unable to. For things like a performance bug, it is often
helpful a few days down the road to post results of the fix once a few
people have tested it. It doesn't make sense to leave the bug open if
it is fixed in git, but many people that followed the bug would find
it interesting.

Other times I get a reopen request asking "what version will this be
fixed in?" That is exactly the thing that is better done in comments,
because 1) if I do reopen, I have to retype their request and 2) then
it is there for everyone to see.

Finally, we never get a chance to see it, because on other bug
trackers people often leave nice comments like "thanks for fixing so
quickly!" or "works for me now too, thanks a lot". If you wonder why
you never feel appreciated for fixing bugs around here, it might be
because our policy leaves no way to give or receive thanks. It sounds
like an odd thing, but I can see people getting burned out with fixing
issues if they never once get positive feedback or a well-deserved pat
on the back.

-Dan