[arch-dev-public] keep config file on system when upgrading to package without the config file

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 17:27:21 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>> It looks like your are changing the config file from a single one in
>> /boot/grub to multiple ones in /etc/grub.d/. This is quite a major change
>> which will need user intervention.
>>

> the only config file that really matters is the /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> file, the other ones are only used by grub-mkconfig to create such a
> config file autmatically.
>
>> You should put such a version in testing first and prepare a news item draft.
>>
> I would have done so if I realised the old grub.cfg file would have
> been deleted. Suppose it's a bit too late to post a news item now,
> though I can draft something quick if you think it is still needed for
> the people that update from not up2date mirrors.
>
> Ronald

please someone review before I post this as a news item:

Early version in the grub2-1.98 release removed the
/boot/grub/grub.cfg file on updating. This is corrected in the -4
release, so if you're still on 1.97 update to that release.
If you already installed one of the early 1.98 releases, and already
re-created the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file, user intervention is needed.
Back the file up and install grub2 with the force flag, after which
you can move the grub.cfg file back again.