[arch-dev-public] [toolchain] gcc 4.5 breakage

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon May 10 07:40:46 EDT 2010

Am 10.05.2010 13:18, schrieb Allan McRae:
> On 10/05/10 20:53, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 12:45:09 +0200, Thomas Bächler<thomas at archlinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Btw, why do I always get signoffs, then move it, and only then get these
>>> reports?
>>
>> Because too few people use testing and this bug was only revealed when
>> using some unusual boot parameters.
>>

> Or...  maybe because that package was moved after about 24 hours so a
> fair portion of [testing] users would not have upgraded yet, not even
> considering the mirror sync time.  Then a big proportion of those who
> did update it in that time would be regular updaters and would not have
> needed to regenerate their initrd yet.

Yeah, I may have been too fast here. I'll know what I need to test more
thoroughly in the future, besides booting my VMs with it.

In this case:
echo "a.b" | sed 's|\.|_|g'
should return a_b and not something cryptic.

Anyway, it seems the bug I reported in gcc 4.5 is not the only one that
is breaking stuff here. The fix for that one has not yet been backported
to 4.5 (it is in the 4.6 branch only). Once that is backported, we need
a new snapshot.