[arch-dev-public] [signoff] dash 0.5.6-1

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue May 18 00:28:29 EDT 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:48:46 +1000, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>
> wrote:
>> On 15/05/10 12:09, Dan McGee wrote:
>>> Signoff both architectures, new-ish upstream version. We no longer
>>> build statically with klibc since it doesn't exist; instead this is
>>> linked against glibc. It is still super lightweight though.
>>
>> Signoff both.
>>
>> Although...   given this is no longer statically linked, does this need
>> to stay in the base group, or even [core]?
>
> Good question. I had to look it up: Dan introduced the dash package to
> have a non-breakable shell in core and a future provider of /bin/sh. But
> the latter wasn't implemented yet and no other package depends on it. So I
> guess we could safely remove it from core/base and add it to extra.

Well since we have been busted as hell at requiring scripts to be
strictly sh-compatible, this hasn't been able to slip in as our
default sh (even something Ubuntu could pull off). I guess I don't
care what you guys want to do with it since no one really cares about
having a fast and stable sh interpreter; I gave up on this pursuit a
while back as no one else seemed interested.

-Dan