[arch-dev-public] Boot loaders in core/base

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Nov 20 16:03:45 CET 2010

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:42:28 +0100, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>
wrote:
> Am Sat, 20 Nov 2010 11:27:35 +0100
> schrieb Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>:
>
>> What do you think about this? At some point it might not be
>> sane/possible to keep grub1 as our default boot loader.
>
> I'm using grub-legacy on all my systems. I dislike the option to force
> everybody to use a separate ext* boot partition.

Don't get me wrong here. I underlined that I wont force anyone to do
anything. So one should still be able to use grub and it should also be
kept on the install CD.

> I prefer to keep grub-legacy that is still maintained by the
> distributions (see heavy Fedora patching) our default boot loader until
> we think we can replace it with grub(2). Maybe it's already ready
> for this after the next minor testing releae. It should already be
> in good state since Ubuntu uses it as the default loader.

Well, it should be clear that grub1 is a dead end; no matter how much
you patch it. I am also not talking about doing something about this
tomorrow but some day in the future. The day when we are forced to think
about grub1 by something else (read as replacing the default not the
package). And in that case I think extlinux is the more simple solution
compared to grub2.