[arch-dev-public] Help with all things web (was: Planet Arch Linux and new theme?)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 08:21:43 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:50:15 +0200, Daniel Isenmann
> <daniel.isenmann at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have seen that our Planet Arch Linux (http://planet.archlinux.org)
>> doesn't have the new website design.
>> Are there any plans to change the theme?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>
> Never noticed that as I am reading the RSS only. :-) We recould use the
> code from https://git.archlinux.de/planet.archlinux.de.git/ which looks
> like https://planet.archlinux.de/ Although its probably too simple. (I
> wonder how those user pictures got there)

Where oh where have the website maintainers gone? We had people that
said they were going to be the loving parents of these things and then
they walked off after one round of changes not to be seen again...

I feel like we need one or two people to really step up here. Whether
new or existing devs, I don't care, but there are some definite good
things that can be done with regards to all of our websites, and
having regular maintainers is a huge help. They wouldn't be stuck
working on one single site, as they could handle re-themes for
everything, help get some movement on things upstream beneficial to us
(good searching for forums/wiki, "caching" in FluxBB, etc).

I can't remember if we had any junior devs willing to do this type of
work, but I'd be willing to serve as a mentor at first if it meant
these things actually got regular maintenance.

-Dan