[arch-dev-public] New Distribute packages for [extra]

Stéphane Gaudreault stephane at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 22 11:13:19 EDT 2010

Le vendredi 22 octobre 2010 08:36:36, Dan McGee a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
>
> <stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Setuptools is a popular method to make Python modules easier to install.
> > However, it seems that the Setuptools author has been very slow to
> > integrate bugfixes and there was almost no developement for a long
> > period of time.  Due to non-maintenance of Setuptools, the project has
> > forked. Distribute is a compatible fork intended to replace Setuptools
> > as the standard method for working with Python module distributions.
> >
> > http://packages.python.org/distribute
> >
> > Distribute uses the same module name than Setuptools package and also use
> > the same API. Setuptools users do not have to change their code to use
> > Distribute instead of Setuptools. Recent versions of Distribute also
> > supports Python 3.
> >
> > Most Linux distributions (Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora or Gentoo for example)
> > have started shipping Distribute as their Setuptools module. After
> > discussion with Allan, we decided to create the following Distribute
> > packages :
> >
> > * python2-distribute : An alternative to Setuptools (drop-in
> > replacement). This package will work with Python 2.x.
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=42062
>
> How many people use setuptools directly over pip
> (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/python-pip/)? Currently
> pip depends on setuptools; I'm assuming it will be fine with
> distribute, and I suppose we could rename it at this time as well.
>
> > * python-distribute : The new "official" method to work with Python 3
> > modules. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29188
>
> [citation needed]
>
> > Any objections to bring these packages to [extra] ?
>
> Nope, as long as you can resolve my questions. Are you planning on
> dropping setuptools completely?
>
> -Dan

Hi

In Debian, python-pip use Distribute.

I do not plan to remove Setuptools. For python 2, I only want to provide a
compatible, less buggy, alternative for users. I suggest to leave packages
that depends on setuptools as is until we migrate to Python 3. Once this
migration will be completed, setuptools could be removed with other python2
packages.

Let me know if you havé further questions.

Regards,

Stéphane