[arch-dev-public] New Distribute packages for [extra]

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 08:36:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
<stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Setuptools is a popular method to make Python modules easier to install.
> However, it seems that the Setuptools author has been very slow to integrate
> bugfixes and there was almost no developement for a long period of time.  Due
> to non-maintenance of Setuptools, the project has forked. Distribute is a
> compatible fork intended to replace Setuptools as the standard method for
> working with Python module distributions.
>
> http://packages.python.org/distribute
>
> Distribute uses the same module name than Setuptools package and also use the
> same API. Setuptools users do not have to change their code to use Distribute
> instead of Setuptools. Recent versions of Distribute also supports Python 3.
>
> Most Linux distributions (Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora or Gentoo for example) have
> started shipping Distribute as their Setuptools module. After discussion with
> Allan, we decided to create the following Distribute packages :
>
> * python2-distribute : An alternative to Setuptools (drop-in
> replacement). This package will work with Python 2.x.

How many people use setuptools directly over pip
(http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/python-pip/)? Currently
pip depends on setuptools; I'm assuming it will be fine with
distribute, and I suppose we could rename it at this time as well.

> * python-distribute : The new "official" method to work with Python 3 modules.
[citation needed]

> Any objections to bring these packages to [extra] ?
Nope, as long as you can resolve my questions. Are you planning on
dropping setuptools completely?

-Dan