[arch-dev-public] [arch-dev] Packaging inconsistencies of python modules

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Apr 5 18:20:37 EDT 2011

I think the correct approach is the one that has been started:

python2-foo  -> python-2.x package
python-foo  -> python-3.x package

I am against using python3-foo instead of python-foo...

We just need to bite the bullet and get this entirely fixed in our
repos.  I did not encourage getting this done during the initial python
change over as there was enough things to do, but I did not realise that
it would becoming a mess now...  Do I hear a volunteer to start creating
the TODO list?

While we are at it, we should make sure all python-3.x packages use the
"#!/usr/bin/python3" or "#!/usr/bin/env python3" in their shebangs
(similar to what we do for python-2.x packages).  That is the upstream
recommended way of packaging.

Allan