[arch-dev-public] [arch-dev] Packaging inconsistencies of python modules

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Apr 6 12:17:16 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 08:20 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> I think the correct approach is the one that has been started:
>
> python2-foo  -> python-2.x package
> python-foo  -> python-3.x package
>
> I am against using python3-foo instead of python-foo...
>
> We just need to bite the bullet and get this entirely fixed in our
> repos.

So naming scheme is more important than smooth upgrade paths? You can
fix everything in the repos, but you can't make a smooth upgrade path
without leaving lots of unused python3 libraries on systems where
python2-depending apps are installed.
With numpy, I chose the easy and smooth way, and that's the way of
adding provides and using python2 and python3 naming.

As a sidenote, I think it will be very funny to see python4 getting
released in the future. Then we'll have to rename all python packages to
python3-* and name the new ones python-* again.