[arch-dev-public] Temporarily removed nvidia legacy driver

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Apr 14 09:06:46 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 14:02 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 14.04.2011 12:54, schrieb Ionuț Bîru:
> >> That problem could be easily solved in our nouveau package, just look at
> >> the nvidia-utils package. I don't understand why this isn't done.
> >>

> > sure but Jan didn't want it. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19879
> >
> > i have 30-nouveau.conf and i can switch easily between nvidia and nouveau
>
> His closing comments in the bug report are wrong, I think. I need to
> try, but if I understand this right, you can still install nouveau (with
> this file) and X will fall back to other drivers if nouveau fails.

No, once you configure a driver, it will be taken. If it fails, it will
just throw an error. The 20-nvidia.conf file in nvidia-utils also forces
the nvidia driver for all devices.
I tried this with 1.9.x with a thinclient setup to pass the ShadowFB
option to the intel driver. The Intel machines worked, the ATI machines
didn't start X because the intel driver didn't work.