[arch-dev-public] Temporarily removed nvidia legacy driver

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Apr 14 09:32:07 EDT 2011

Am 14.04.2011 15:06, schrieb Jan de Groot:
>> His closing comments in the bug report are wrong, I think. I need to
>> try, but if I understand this right, you can still install nouveau (with
>> this file) and X will fall back to other drivers if nouveau fails.
>
> No, once you configure a driver, it will be taken. If it fails, it will
> just throw an error. The 20-nvidia.conf file in nvidia-utils also forces
> the nvidia driver for all devices.
> I tried this with 1.9.x with a thinclient setup to pass the ShadowFB
> option to the intel driver. The Intel machines worked, the ATI machines
> didn't start X because the intel driver didn't work.

This situation is really crappy:
1) The list of default drivers to try is hardcoded into Xorg, not
configurable.
2) Instead of trying multiple available device configuration sections,
Xorg will take the first one available and fail if that doesn't work.

So, if a new driver is added, it won't be supported out of the box in a
clean way. IMO, this justifies patching the list inside the xorg-server
package, adding nvidia and nouveau (in that order).