[arch-dev-public] Temporarily removed nvidia legacy driver

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Apr 14 09:50:34 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 15:32 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 14.04.2011 15:06, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> >> His closing comments in the bug report are wrong, I think. I need to
> >> try, but if I understand this right, you can still install nouveau (with
> >> this file) and X will fall back to other drivers if nouveau fails.
> >
> > No, once you configure a driver, it will be taken. If it fails, it will
> > just throw an error. The 20-nvidia.conf file in nvidia-utils also forces
> > the nvidia driver for all devices.
> > I tried this with 1.9.x with a thinclient setup to pass the ShadowFB
> > option to the intel driver. The Intel machines worked, the ATI machines
> > didn't start X because the intel driver didn't work.
>
> This situation is really crappy:
> 1) The list of default drivers to try is hardcoded into Xorg, not
> configurable.
> 2) Instead of trying multiple available device configuration sections,
> Xorg will take the first one available and fail if that doesn't work.
>
> So, if a new driver is added, it won't be supported out of the box in a
> clean way. IMO, this justifies patching the list inside the xorg-server
> package, adding nvidia and nouveau (in that order).

The order doesn't matter, as you can't have both nvidia and nouveau
installed at the same time due to -dri conflicts.

BTW: as we have hybrid graphics these days, is that supported by the
Nvidia driver, and if so, shouldn't we think of some other way to
support xf86-video-intel + nvidia-utils on one system?